New features in Windows Server 2008

From 4sysops blog :

Windows Server 2008 RTM is out for some days now. I suppose only the adventurous are running it already in a productive environment. Even if you’re not planning to deploy Windows Server 2008 in the near future, I recommend having a look at its new features now. Who knows, maybe there are one or two features that may convince you to install Microsoft’s latest server OS earlier than planned.

I’ve been blogging about Server 2008 for quite some time now. Below you’ll find a list of those posts discussing new features. I also recommend skimming over Microsoft’s new white paper: Changes in Functionality from Windows Server 2003 with SP1 to Windows Server 2008. The word file has 341 pages. So you could say it is a free e-book about Windows Server 2008. Of course, you won’t find any critical comments there. (There is also a web version of this document)

German speaking readers might also have a look at the comprehensive article about Windows Server 2008 I wrote for Computerwoche. I added another chapter about the Terminal Services recently. You will find even more critical words there than in my blog posts.

All in all, I think that Server 2008 is a more interesting product than Windows Vista. Particularly, the consequent modularization, the new Terminal Services, Network Access Protection and Server Core are new functionalities that convinced me, even though I found a couple of shortcomings, too.

Source : 4sysops.com

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home