Can't logon to SQL Server 2005 Cluster in single-user mode

Last night I spent a few hours trying to follow the kb224071's instructions to move the MSDB system database but was always getting the following error trying to connect with the -c -m -T3608 startup options :

Login failed for user '******'. Reason: Server is in single user mode. Only one administrator can connect at this time. [CLIENT: *.*.*.*]

But nobody else was using the database !

Seems that I was wrong. When I looked again at my error log I saw this line :

Login succeeded for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'. Connection: trusted. [CLIENT: *.*.*.*]

Then I tried the same thing in virtual without a cluster and everything worked fine, so I got a little suspicious about the cluster service.

So here's what I've done and it worked :

  1. Put all SQL Server resources offline in the cluster (except the storage of course).
  2. execute :
    NET START "SQL SERVER (instance)" /c /m /T3608
  3. You will now be able to connect to your database in single-user mode.
  4. When your finished, execute the following command and restart all SQL Server resources in the cluster :
    NET STOP "SQL SERVER (instance)"

I'm not an SQL engineer but it looks to me like the Cluster Service opened a connection to the SQL Server.

Hope this could help someone else.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home